This is the Blog site for QISMA. She is a 59 foot narrowboat launched in July 2010 as a liveaboard, for Jan, Alistair and Little Josh. After almost six years cruising the canals and rivers of England and Wales we started a new adventure. The boat was taken to Ireland where we plan to stay for...............
This week is dedicated to bimbling...on what might be our favourite section of the River Great Ouse. We decided to do that, rather than push on towards Bedford. So we've been between Barford and St Neots and back. We know we have to start to head back. Appointments mid May in the Ely/Denver areas....and we don't want to rush!!
Yesterday we had three boats pass by. Need I say more?
Faith in human nature somewhat restored ...the garage repairing the car only charged us for parts! Can you believe it!!
So, Monday lunchtime we were on the road heading for West Sussex to meet Eadie, Alistair's 5 day old granddaughter and see the rest of the family. My friend Marion was putting us up so lots of catching up boxes ticked we will next see them all on the Il de Re in June.
Climping Beach ....looking very like Bois Plage en Re
LJ and Max enjoying their outing
Moved on to Dorset on Thursday to see Alistair's parents. Friday it's back to QISMA
via Bicester...Al's son, daughter in law and four month old grandson.
Saturday.......one of us will be cruising....one of us will be taking the car to it's Welsh home.
The disaster with the car overshadowed everything yesterday. Still feel dreadful. Moving swiftly on. We worked Alustair through the lock at Godmanchester yesterday. Wind not too bad. NB Teal on the 48 hour mooring spotted me and LJ doing the prep and said 'this must be LJ' he is famous!! His Tweet buddies thrilled for him.
We started being poised for the new arrival this week. Alistair's daughter Zoe didn't keep us waiting long. Eadie Ava arrived on Thursday lunchtime. I was despatched to get the car ready for our trip to West Sussex to admire her and to see the rest of the family.
The car has been parked at a farm in Denver. The farmer is such a nice chap and lets a few boaters do that. Sadly, the catalytic converter has been stolen. Not his fault. Sawn off by .......... for the £160 scrap value. Replacement and sorting out the damage they caused is likely to cost £1K. Words don't actually fail me but best not written down. I am sure everyone will be able to guess.
Car will be going back to it's Welsh home on our return!
Good to wake up to ... Boating weather! Rain had gone through in the night so...off we jolly well went.
Not too far to the first lock, just past the lovely Brampton Mill. A dog friendly pub of the smart and trendyish category with very friendly staff and good food. Plus it is home to the gin, tonic and elderflower cocktail! We have been off the booze since last summer.....that is going to be tough when we visit!
Through the lock and onto a particularly lovely section of the river. With QISMA still the only boat on the move.
Buckden Marina and chalets just before Offord Lock....with the Yorkshire flag on display!
These chalets she'll from upwards of £130K. Some seriously swish properties overlooking the Marina.
Through the lock and we meet the railway. The main Kings Cross to all points North runs parallel to the river. We don't mind. The advantages of mooring along here outweigh the sound of a train and it's hooter.
Not quite the words of the song...but they fit the tune!! My first fix as I went down past the recreation ground today.
My short outing was to stock up,at the excellent butchers. Averting my eyes as I went,past the tea room. The cake we had from there last year was scrummy.
The view from the sidehatch looking back to the village. Additional mooring on the rec, to the left of the picture.
And across from this mooring.
They promised us wind and my goodness it delivered. Gusts of over 80mph all Monday night and it really is only now that it is calming down. We've had the common almost to ourselves for dog walking. Hatches have been well and truly battened down. Thankfully no damage done. Having decided to wait until tomorrow before moving it was good to get a green light on that from the EA who were checking things out today, ready for Easter.
We hope to move tomorrow, to what we call the secret mooring where, if all goes well, we will spend Easter.